Saturday, December 14, 2019
The year in African American poetry, 2019
Alright, here we go, a partial list of publications and news items related to African American poets and poetry that caught my attention this past year.
• February: Dawn Lundy Martin wins the Kingsley Tufts Poetry Award.
• April: Tracy K. Smith receives an Anisfield-Wolf Award for Wade in the Water.
• April: Sonia Sanchez receives an Anisfield-Wolf Lifetime Achievement Award.
• April: Cyrus Cassells, Camille T. Dungy, Robin Coste Lewis, and Shane McCrae receive Guggenheim fellowships.
• April: Carl Phillips wins Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Wild is the Wind: Poems.
• April: Dante Micheaux wins the Four Quartets Prize for Circus.
• May: Marilyn Nelson awarded the Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize.
• September: Rita Dove wins Wallace Stevens award.
• September: Kyle Dargan wins the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize
Select volumes of poetry published in 2019:
• A Fortune for Your Disaster by Hanif Abdurraqib
• The Tradition by Jericho Brown
• Felon: Poems by Reginald Dwayne Betts
• Crossfire: A Litany for Survival by Staceyann Chin
• I: New and Selected Poems by Toi Derricotte
• 1919 by Eve L. Ewing
• & More Black by T’ai Freedom Ford
• A Bound Woman Is a Dangerous Thing by DaMaris Hill
• Collected Poems of Bob Kaufman Edited by Neeli Cherkovski, Raymond Foye, and Tate Swindell
• The Gilded Auction Block by Shane McCrae
• All That Beauty by Fred Moten
• I Shimmer Sometimes, Too by Porsha Olayiwola
• Magical Negro by Morgan Parker
• Library of Small Catastrophes by Alison C. Rollins
• Heed the Hollow: Poems by Malcolm Tariq
• The Collected Poems of Lorenzo Thomas edited by Aldon Nielsen and Laura Vrana
• Year in African American poetry entries
• A roundup of poetry volumes, 2010 - 2019
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment