|The students in the class will receive flash drives containing all of the poems.|
The primary texts for one of my African American literature courses this semester will be audio recordings. The students in my class -- all first-year black women college students -- will cover over 60 poems by more than 25 black women poets. We'll listen to Elizabeth Alexander, Gwendolyn Brooks, Lucille Clifton, Nikki Giovanni, Tracie Morris, Harryette Mullen, Sonia Sanchez, Evie Shockley, and more.
We'll take note off what it means to experience the poetry audibly, not just on the page. We'll also take the time to distinguish differences between black women poets and black women poets.
• List of audio recordings by black women poets and lyricists
• Situating the bold & bodacious poetic voice of Mahogany L. Browne
• Can the sounds of black women's poetic voices get a witness?
• African American Literature @ SIUE
Additional Fall 2016 courses:
• An African American lit. course: "Hip Hop & Black Consciousness"
• An African American literature course on Ta-Nehisi Coates