On November 29, we continued working on audio mixes. We really wanted to address some of the details a little more than we had in the past. So we took our time working on different tracks and tried to give special attention to higher quality.
What that meant was that we worked on adjusting volume levels and thinking a little more critically about the poem selections. I also wanted the students to give more and more thought to potential audiences. Imagining their audiences, I think, will lead them to strengthen their productions.
Week #11 reflection from graduate student, Rae'Jean Spears
The East St Louis project went well. It seems as if the initial excitement of being able to mix poems with music has worn off. While the students are still excited, they are not as easily moved by their recordings just “sounding cool.” Instead, this week I noticed that they were a little quieter and spent more time paying attention to the details of the recordings. If this pattern of concentration on detail continues, I am sure they can produce some quality samples by the end of the year.Related:
• The East St. Louis Digital Humanities Club