Wednesday, May 30, 2018
A notebook on the sound of black women poets
For a recent, ongoing project, I'm considering the sounds of black women poets. Below are entries with some of my thoughts and observations.
• Why spoken word poetry appears infrequently in literature courses
• 53 black women poets, 104 poems: Audio recordings
• Toward a history of the warrior voice in black women's poetry
• The popular appeal of black women poets reciting their works
• Listening to 100 black women poets reading 200 poems
• 30 black women poets reading their works: From M. Walker, G. Brooks to A. Matthews, A. Gorman
• Dynamic black women speakers vs. flat sounding poets
• Why some black poetry sounds boring to black students (abstract)
• Understanding the favorite poets of black women students
• Notes on "Beyond Poet Voice"