This semester for our Haley Reading Groups, we've covered:
Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers - 45 first-year students covered this book.
Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers - about 40 students covered this book.
Adrian Matejka's The Big Smoke - about 50 black men students covered this volume of poetry. 20 of those participants were not Haley scholars.
We began organizing online reading groups for Haley Scholars in September 2009, and since that time, we have facilitated a series of reading groups each semester. So far, we have covered:
• Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
• Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa's Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses
• Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
• Ta-Nehisi Coates's The Beautiful Struggle
• Charles Duhigg's The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
• Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success
• Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures
• Sheena Iyengar's The Art of Choosing
• Adrian Matejka's The Big Smoke
• Emily Nussbaum (select articles)
• Alyssa Rosenberg (select articles)
• Kathryn Schulz's Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error
• Fall 2014 Public Programming