During the 2013-2014 academic year, Caleb Butler, a senior sociology major with minors in English and Black Studies, produced a research project that focused on a support program for first-year black men college students at a predominantly white institution (PWI). Caleb studied the academic and social environments that black men experience at a PWI and how their involvement in the first-year support program enable them to more successfully navigate college. He interviewed 24 young men who had participated in the support program between 2006 - 2013. The interviews totaled 25 hours.
On April 15 and 16, we showcased an exhibit that highlights some of Caleb's research.
• Images from Caleb Butler's research project
• Caleb Butler's Mailbag Pt. 1
• Caleb Butler's Mailbag Pt. 2
• From Researcher to Researcher
• URCA student, Caleb Butler, presents research in mixed media exhibit
Excepts from exhibit:
• Being Black Men on campus at a PWI
• Practice with Whites